Our Founders and Teaching Staff
A college is only as good as its teaching staff and at Millennium we are immensely proud to have the best teachers available. Our staff always goes the extra mile to ensure students are well informed and guided appropriately towards becoming consummate professionals.
We’re in this business to create the best performers. When our students come out of our programmes they have an inner strength. They are used to being treated as adults and have developed a professional mindset. They’re ready to become big players in the industry.
This success is largely due to the professional atmosphere at Millennium. Our teaching staff are also active performers, choreographers, and directors in the industry. Interacting with professionals every day prepares our students very well to confidently take their place in the industry.
Donald McLennan Dip RBS: Donald started his career in Performing Arts with Sadlers Wells Opera Ballet, based at the globally renowned Sadler’s Wells.
This followed with a spell in the West End, including a run at the London Palladium with the legend that was Ginger Rogers in ‘Mame’. He didn’t let the grass grow under his feet, performing in the film of ‘Fiddler on the Roof’ with Topol and Ken Russel’s Masterpiece ‘The Devils’ with Glenda Jackson and the late, great Oliver Reed.He then moved to Paris for 4 years, working with the iconic cabaret company La Grande Eugène before joining husband and wife-team Roland Petit and Zizi Jeanmaire’s Ballet Company, gaining a great deal of experience on stage and soaking up ‘la vie Parisienne’. During his time in this most romantic of cities, he became part of the Inner Circle of the world-renowned artist, Salvador Dali.
On returning to London, Donald spent 7 years working at the Royal Opera House in Covent garden where he could enjoy his original passion, Ballet. In addition, he studied at the Royal Ballet to become a qualified teacher on the TTC diploma course run by Valerie Adams.
During this time, he appeared on numerous shows on the BBC, including Cilla Black for several years
Ikky Maas PostGrad Dip, PTLLS: Ikky was born in the Netherlands and from the age of 15 knew all he wanted to do was dance.
He attended the conservatoire in Tilburg and was fortunate to have as his ballet teachers Simon Andre, a former principal dancer with The Dutch National Ballet and Natalya Orlovskaya, a former principal from the world-famous Bolshoi Ballet in Moscow.
After qualifying, Ikky started his performing career in Ulm, Germany, which has a very strong tradition of the Performing Arts, after which he became a dancer with Finnish National Ballet, before then successfully applying for and joining Rambert Dance Company in London. During his time as Principal with Rambert, he worked with many major choreographers, as well as being a founding cast member in the World Premiere of Christopher Bruce’s seminal work, ‘Ghost Dances’ in 1982; a piece that is still in Rambert’s repertoire, having had its most recent revival in 2018.
After retiring from Rambert, Ikky gained a Post Grad. Dip. in Arts Administration from City University and is also fully qualified as a teacher.
Both remaining Founders still teach regularly at MILLENNIUM as this adds to their enjoyment at the College and allows close interconnectivity with the students.
Our Teaching Staff
Zak Nemorin – Head of Dance, Main Tutor for Jazz Dance and Artistic Director for ToTheCore
Theatre credits include:
- The Wizard Of Oz (Birmingham Rep)
- Strictly Ballroom (Original UK cast)
- West Yorkshire Playhouse & Toronto Canada
- West Side Story (Salzburg Festival)
- Let’s Dance Again (Royal Festival Hall)
- High Society (Old Vic)
- Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Original cast Savoy Theatre)
- Viva Forever! (Original cast, Piccadilly Theatre)
- Legally Blonde (Original UK National Tour)
- She Loves Me (Minerva Theatre, Chichester)
- Sweet Charity (Menier Chocolate Factory & Theatre Royal Haymarket)
- Carousel (UK Tour & Savoy Theatre)
- Cats (UK, Portuguese & Italian National Tour)0
- Aladdin (Old Vic)
- Mary Poppins (Original cast, Bristol Hippodrome & Prince Edward Theatre
- Saturday Night Fever (UK Tour)
- Chicago (Adelphi Theatre)
- We Will Rock You (Original cast, Dominion Theatre)
- Ben Hur (The Barn Theatre)
- Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (The Union Theatre)
- Agatha Raisin (Series III, And The Deadly Dance)
- Midsomer Murders (Series XXI, The Point of Balance)
- All Quiet On The Western Front (Incognito
- Theatre Company London, Edinburgh Festival & The SoHo Playhouse Off Broadway, New York
- Speed Dial, Murder On The Dancefloor, Woyzeck & Our Man In Havana (Spies Like Us Theatre Company Edinburgh & London)
- Story Of Our Youth (NYT Gala, Shaftesbury Theatre)
- HERE, London Road and Standing By (Stanwix Theatre)
- POSH (Warwick Arts Centre)
- A Mid Summer Nights Dream and Walk The Line (Edward Alleyn Theatre)
- Doing Time, Chicago, Freshwave Expression, Last Minute Tango, Heat of the Night, Revealed!, TheOtherSide, Tryst At Twilight. (All for MPA)
- Tempting Fate, (Elmhurst Ballet School & MPA, The Net Kill, Tobacco Road & Dorian Gray (Incognito Theatre Company, Edinburgh Festival & London)
- Midsomer Murders
- Absolutely Fabulous
- Showtime At The Stadium
- Emma Bunton’s video Maybe
Most recently Zak was Artistic Director for the MPA Virtual Summer Show 2020
An OFFIE Awards 2020 Finalist for Best Choreography
Original Concept, Co-Creator and Choreographer for UPROOTED – The Journey Of Jazz Dance, a feature documentary film about the history, lineage and future progressions of Jazz Dance.
Nigel West – Head of Musical Theatre and Main Tutor for Acting
Nigel joined the Bristol Old Vic company at the Theatre Royal in 1983 where he stayed for three years working on 29 productions ranging from ‘Richard II’ to the musical ‘Judy’ which he also worked on when it transferred to London’s Strand Theatre in 1986.
After a season on the Theatre Of Comedy production of ‘Rookery Nook’ at London’s Shaftesbury Theatre he joined the Olivier award-winning musical ‘Me And My Girl’ at the Adelphi Theatre and became Associate Director in March 1988 establishing a 10-year association with director Mike Ockrent, going on to direct the first sell out British national tour. He has also acted as Artistic Consultant on several foreign productions, and has directed the show in Stockholm, (in Swedish) Canada, Australia and New Zealand. Receiving best director nominations for the Canadian and Australian productions.
Nigel then became Associate Director of the Tony and Olivier award-winning ‘Crazy For You’ at the Prince Edward Theatre, London and directed the UK tour and Australian Production of the show. He also acted as artistic supervisor for the South African production.
He then directed ‘Closer Than Ever’ for Bergen Film, Stage and Television, Holland, going on to direct a new production of ‘ She Loves Me’ for the Drayton Festival Theatre, Canada.
He was UK Associate Director of the Olivier award-winning Disney’s ‘Beauty And The Beast’ at London’s’ Dominion Theatre and resident Director of the Tony and Olivier Award-winning musical revival of Kander and Ebb’s ‘Chicago’ at the Adelphi Theatre, which he also directed in Buenos Aires, Mexico City and Dusseldorf.
His own productions include a national tour of Stephen King’s ‘Misery’ ‘Just For Joe’ a one-woman show starring Brenda Cochrane at the Edinburgh festival and subsequent Scottish Tour. Dennis Potter’s ‘Blue Remembered Hills’ for the Belgrade Theatre, Coventry. He has also directed various pantomimes at Glasgow Kings Theatre, Birmingham Hippodrome and Coventry. ‘The Producers’ for Susan Stroman – A US tour (3 years) including a season at Harrah’s Casino, Atlantic City.
His Original production of ‘The Wizard Of Oz’ for the Mayflower Theatre, Southampton which subsequently toured the United States (four years) including a season at Madison Square Garden, New York City.
The first German-speaking production of ‘The Producers’ re-opening the newly renovated Ronacher Theatre in Vienna Austria which subsequently played the Admirals Palast Theatre, Berlin. Revisiting ‘Chicago‘ over recent years directing productions in Australia, Singapore, Korea, Madrid, Barcelona, Spanish tour and Cambridge and Garrick Theatre, London.
A new production of Disney’s and Cameron Mackintosh’s ‘Mary Poppins’ Ontario, Canada. Best Production nomination. Also directed the highly acclaimed production of Susan Stoman’s ‘Scottboro Boys’ Young Vic Theatre and Garrick Theatre, London.
- ‘The Producers’ US Tour.
- Associate Director to Susan Stroman / Mel Brooks “Young Frankenstein” Garrick Theatre London.
- Produced / Wrote / Hosted ‘A Wee Blether’ With Gregor Fisher. A two-hour chat show.
- “Aladdin” Starring Elaine C Smith. Kings Theatre, Glasgow.
Joe Bunker – Main Tutor for Singing and Musicianship.
Joe is a freelance musical director, vocal coach and podcast host. He has worked at Millennium Performing Arts since 2010, teaching singing and musical theatre history, a course he devised and has developed over the past decade.
His credits as musical director include:
- Rags (The Park Theatre; The Rink (Southwark Playhouse)
- My Fair Lady (The Mill at Sonning)
- 35mm: A Musical Exhibition (The Other Palace; Assassins (Pleasance)
- Side by Side by Sondheim (Headliners Club)
- The Events (UK & US Tour / Queen Elizabeth Hall)
As an MD of new British musicals:
- Superhero: A One Dad Musical (Southwark Playhouse)
- Wasted (Southwark Playhouse)
- The Station Master (University of Chichester)
- Workshops of Vanya’s, Barista and The Flower Cutters
As assistant/associate MD:
- Guys and Dolls (Sheffield Crucible)
- Ghost Quartet (Boulevard)
- Love is Only Love (The Other Palace)
As an actor:
- Our Town (Almeida)
Joe also works as an accompanist/associate conductor of Singing with Friends, a dementia-friendly choir at Wigmore Hall. He works as the musical director of Barnes Community Choir, and as the founder/director of The Collective, an occasional choir for actors, writers and other theatre folk.
Joe also hosts the podcast, Piece by Piece: a Musical Theatre Talk Show.
Millie Duniam – Tutor for Jazz Dance
Millie started her professional training here at Millennium Performing Arts. After graduating in 2018 she infiltrated the commercial dance scene and became a member of Empire Dance Crew. She made many appearances on ITV and Hip Hop International.
Millie has appeared in many music videos and worked with artists such as Parra For Cuva and Rude Kid. In 2019 she joined the cast of the Michael Jackson UK and International tour and has been touring ever since.
Millie is passionate about teaching and trains dancers at Pineapple Studios, Studio 68, Brit School, LSE and of course Millennium!
Milla Kauhanen – Main Tutor for Contemporary Dance
After graduating from a performing arts college, where Milla trained with Ikky Maas, she went on to study at The Cunningham Studios, New York on the Lisa Ullmann and Robin Howard scholarship. She frequently joins the Merce Cunningham Company’s London residency.
Early performing credits include working with choreographers Darshan Singh-Bhuller, Margaret Morris, David Massingham, Yolande Snaith, Ian Spink, Lea Anderson and David Waring. She was a founder member of her own dance company MILITATEDANCEco. and choreographed and performed with them for many years.
Milla is a fully qualified freelance teacher with a Cert. in Education in Performing Arts (Post Compulsory). As a choreographer she enjoys creating full evening performances of contemporary ballet and physical theatre pieces. She has 20+ years’ experience as an educator in both the HE and FE sector. Milla is also a Method Putkisto (a specific stretching method) and Pilates instructor.
Jo Morris – Main Tutor for Tap Dance and Core Tutor for Jazz Dance
Theatre credits include:
- Revival Choreographer for White Christmas, UK Tour
- Associate Choreographer for 42nd Street at Theatre Du Chatelet, Paris
- Associate Choreographer for Singin’ In The Rain at the Lyric Opera, Chicago
- Associate Choreographer for 42nd Street at the Lyric Opera, Chicago
- Revival Choreographer for Singin’ In The Rain (Grand Palais, Paris)
Associate Choreographer/Dance Captain for the following shows:
- White Christmas (Dominion Theatre & Curve Theatre, Leicester)
- Guys & Dolls (Royal Albert Hall)
- Chess (English National Opera)
- Top Hat (Kilworth House)
- 42nd Street (Theatre Du Chatelet, Paris)
- Thoroughly Modern Millie (Kilworth House)
- Sunset Boulevard (English National Opera/Coliseum)
- Singin’ In The Rain (Theatre du Chatelet, Paris)
- Mack & Mabel (Chichester Festival Theatre + UK Tour)
- The Pajama Game (Minerva Theatre, Chichester & Shaftesbury Theatre)
- Kiss Me, Kate (The Old Vic & Chichester Festival Theatre)
- Crazy For You (Regents Park Open Air Theatre)
- Me & My Girl (Sheffield Crucible)
- the Olivier Award- winning Hello, Dolly! (Regent’s Park Open Air Theatre)
- On The Town (English National Opera/Coliseum, London & Chatelet Theatre, Paris)
- Gigi (Regent’s Park Open Air Theatre)
- Dance Captain/Onstage Swing and Assistant Rehearsal Director in Shoes (Sadlers Wells and Peacock Theatre).
- Assistant Choreographer: Sweet Charity (Theatre Royal Haymarket & Menier Chocolate Factory)
- The Music Man (Chichester Festival Theatre)
- Oklahoma! (Chichester Festival Theatre Choreographer
- Cinderella (Gordon Craig Theatre, Stevenage
- The Winslow Boy (The Old Vic)
- Wicked (Victoria Apollo)
- Sinatra (London Palladium)
- Mary Poppins (Prince Edward Theatre)
- Grease (Scandanavian Tour)
- Tonight’s The Tonight (Victoria Palace)
- Fame (UK Tour)
- Shoes for Sadlers Wells
- The Little Mermaid for Broadway
- Mary Poppins for Broadway
TV credits include:
- Assistant Choreographer Britannia for Sky Atlantic
- Assistant Choreographer for So You Think You Can Dance – Series 1 (BBC)
- Blessed (BBC)
- Celebrity Big Brother (Endemol)
- Rebourn (BBC)
- Bustamove (MTV music video for Goldfrapp)
- Orange Mobile Phone commercial and Showtime at the Stadium (BBC)
Fuschia Peters – Tutor for Contemporary Dance and Student Counsellor
Fuschia trained at Arts Educational School, London Contemporary Dance School, State University at Purchase, NY, USA and Alvin Ailey (summer program scholarship), then went on to work and tour internationally with a variety of contemporary dance companies, whilst maintaining part-time teaching posts.
In 2000 Fuchia retrained, completing a Psychology degree and then worked for the NHS. For three years she worked in a groundbreaking service providing psychological services for the African and Caribbean communities in Southwark.
Following this she attained her Diploma in Counselling in Australia and now has a private practice and continues to teach/lecture/tutor/counsel at performing arts colleges across London.
Franny Anne Rafferty – Tutor for Acting
Training: Royal Central School of Speech & Drama.
Recipient of the MGCFutures 2017 Assistant Director Award.
Current project/s include:
- Six The Musical as associate director (UK productions and NCL Cruises)
- Director attached to Barlow & Smith’s new musical Vanya’s and writing developing Wreckclamation.
Previous credits as Director:
- Saving Rachel (Fertility Fest 2019, Olympia)
- Vanya’s by Barlow & Smith (MMD workshop)
- The Field by Lydia Thomson for Rapid Write Response (Theatre 503)
- A West End Christmas (Cadogan Hall)
- The Fun Club presents… [Working Title] (Camden People’s Theatre)
- Jonathan Larson’s Tick, tick…Boom!, and The Accrington Pals by Peter Whelan (Bridewell Theatre)
As Associate Director:
- Six The Musical (UK Tour, West End and NCL Cruises 2019-2020)
- Turn Of The Screw (UK Tour 2019)
- The Rink (Southwark Playhouse)
- Titanic The Musical (UK /Ireland Tour and Hamburg State Opera)
- Spamalot (UK Tour 2018)
As Assistant Director:
- Pickle Jar (Soho Theatre)
- Turn of the Screw (Mercury Colchester and UK Tour 2018)
- Ever Onward Workshop (The Other Palace)
- Spamalot (UK Tour 2017)
In addition to the work as a practitioner Franny mentors emerging artists, provides dramaturgical support to developing projects and regularly facilitates workshops in audition technique, acting through song, writing-devising for theatre, page-to-stage and script analysis for schools, colleges, and arts venues.
Alongside ad hoc projects she has recently undertaken workshops for the DCF (Director’s Charitable Foundation).
Represented by Gavin Barker Associates.
Nicky Swift – tutor for Singing and Acting
National Youth Music Theatre, Birmingham University and The Royal
Academy of Music where she received The Ian Fleming Musical Theatre Award.
- Eileen Stinkleton in Grandma Saves The Day (New Wolsey Theatre, Ipswich)
- Rosie in Mamma Mia! (UK and International Tour)
- Shirley in Shirley Valentine (30th anniversary UK Tour)
- Ethel/Coach Dunbar/Betty in Footloose (UK Tour)
- Madame and understudied Madame Thénardier in Les Misérables (Queen’s Theatre, London)
- Cynthia/Aunt Mimi in Lennon (Royal Court, Liverpool)
- Vera Lynn in Songs for Victory (UK Tour)
- One Night in Istanbul (Echo Arena, Dublin Gaiety and Belfast Grand Opera House)
- Jack and the Beanstalk, Mother Goose, Aladdin, Dick Whittington, Sleeping Beauty and Red Riding Hood (Liverpool Everyman and Playhouse)
- Jellylorum in Cats (Arena Tour)
- Vi in The Buddy Holly Story (Upstairs at the Gatehouse, London)
- Alice in The Walled Garden (Brockwell Park, London)
- Twelfth Night, Plaza Suite, The Odd Couple and A Slice of Saturday Night (QE Theatre Company on Cunard’s Queen Elizabeth)
- Elizabeth in Richard Taylor’s Whistle Down the Wind (Edinburgh Festival, Sadler’s Wells, London and West Yorkshire Playhouse)
- Charlie (Buxton Opera House), Creation and Warchild (National Youth Music Theatre, London)
- Her Benny (Liverpool Empire)
- David Copperfield (UK Tour)
- Sixteen Gobs (King’s Head, London)
- Habeas Corpus and City of Angels (Royal Academy of Music, London)
- Voices Raised
- Blue Peter
- Sport Relief
- The Olivier Awards
- Loose Ends and New Musicals with Stephen Sondheim (BBC Radio 2)
Other credits include:
- Soloist alongside Dame Judi Dench in An Enchanted Evening (Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, London)
- Performances at charity galas at the Palace Theatre (London), Royal Albert Hall (London), the O2 Arena (London) and for HRH Prince Edward at St James’s Palace (London).
Nicky works as a backing and session singer, supporting names such as Tom Jones, Lesley Garrett, Elaine Paige and Cynthia Erivo.
Nicky made her Off-Broadway debut in A Broadway Diva Christmas (Julia Miles Theatre, New York).